Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A long and wordy post



Yesterday could not have been more beautiful. The sun has a way of making even the most mundane of days exciting. I wasn’t about to let myself suffer indoors when the real party was happening out in the open air. The problem was this: homework and the great outdoors don’t get along very well. I’ve tried to mix the two many times and the result has never been good. I was willing to give it one more chance yesterday though, since the weather was especially wonderful. I changed into flip-flops, grabbed my favorite blanket and set off for the park just a block south of my apartment. Turns out I grabbed two different flip-flops, one brown and one black. It’s a good thing I wasn’t trying to make a fashion statement. I found a place on the grass (which ended up being pretty soggy) and started reading. This concentration lasted all of two seconds as my eyes soon wandered to the photo shoot that was taking place on the swings. The photographer was talking about how the sun would be just perfect in another half hour or so. As a random side note: photographers have the best style. It’s a fact. Back to the story. . . To the right of the swings, a little family was throwing a Frisbee back and forth. I soon got wrapped up in listening to the husband laugh as his wife’s tosses kept getting further and further away from where he was standing. He would laugh, she would apologize, he would tell her to try again, she would try again and fail, he would laugh, she would apologize, etc. etc. etc. It made me smile to see such a patient husband and a wife who clearly wasn’t a professional athlete but was willing to try because it was something her husband liked to do. They were so cute together. I looked to the other side of the park and noticed two girls throwing a baseball back and forth. I’ll admit, I was instantly jealous. Playing catch is one of my very favorite things to do. All growing up, my brother Jordan and me would throw a baseball back and forth to each other in our backyard. I always chose to use my mom’s old baseball mitt. It had her name, “Janine Tueller”, written on the front in permanent marker and had turned a greenish color from many days in the sun. I loved those times. Seeing those girls at the park made me think about how my next purchase will probably be a baseball mitt and a baseball…or maybe a football. I’m slowly expanding my supply of sport’s equipment. Back to the park . . . needless to say, I didn’t get much done. BUT, I feel like it’s healthy every once in a while to allow your thoughts to wander in a way that requires very little effort or concentration. It’s like a power nap for your brain. But better.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment