Monday, May 24, 2010
I currently have a job at DownEast Clothing in Draper as a Sales Associate. I am in charge of manning the dressing rooms, sorting new shipment, cleaning the store, organizing merchandise and just making sure everything is organized. It has really been cool to see sort of the "behind-the-scenes" action. I get to see how certain customer issues are handled, how the company guards against theft, and other interesting things. It has really made me want to change the way I shop. Here are just a few things that I have learned.
1. Never get mad at a store employees. As frustrating as the situation may be, most likely it is not entirely their fault. Remember that employees are just as human and prone to mistakes as anyone else. You'll just embarrass yourself if you get mad or yell.
2. If you can't find your size, ask if there are any in the back. It seems so simple, but I am always amazed by how many people I have overheard saying things like, "I wish they had my size in this", and never think to ask. At DownEast we keep a lot of our stock in the backroom to reduce clutter on the sales floor. I'm sure it is the same at other stores.
3. If you are shopping alone, resist the temptation to ask an employee for their opinion on how a clothing item looks on you. Asking if a swimsuit or a pair of jeans is too tight will most likely make the employee uncomfortable and create an awkward situation for everyone involved. Trust me on this one!
Because I have gotten to know the DownEast clothing line REALLY well, I have decided to highlight a few of my favorite items from the Spring line.
1. Samba Skirt (comes in blue and light gray), $26.99 *I bought this in light gray and LOVE IT! The elastic waistband makes it sooooo comfortable.
2. Watering Can Dress (coming soon), $34.99
3. Must Have Matchstick Jean, $44.99 (on sale now for $33.75)
Sunday, May 23, 2010
A few months ago while I was still living in the dorms, I hung a paper chain from the ceiling that reached all the way down to the floor. It was showing the number of days until my brother Jordan comes home from his mission in Phoenix, Arizona. I realize now that it is not a good idea to make a chain when there are that many days left, I went into a deep depression every time I looked at it. Little by little, the chain finally left the floor and got shorter and shorter. I looked at it today and it only has 9 links left!!! The time has flown by and I can't even tell you how excited I am. I have loved reading his emails and hearing all the cool experiences he is having. I can't wait to have him down at BYU with me in the Fall. YAY!
The chain was also counting down the days until my sister Laura, her husband Josh and my niece Brynlee come to visit from California. I haven't seen them since December and I am DYING to wrastle with little Bryn. Laura made her flashcards with our pictures so she would get to know our names before she comes out here. I think it's helping because I've heard her say Rie Rie a few times on the phone :) I have also been dying to see my sissy Laura. She has always been such an amazing example to me. Starting from when I was little and I would try my hardest to be just like her. I would wear what she did and act like she did. This probably drove her crazy, but I just looked up to her so much. I still try to be like her because she has always made choices in her life that have led her to happiness. I have loved talking to her almost daily on the phone and hearing funny stories about Brynlee. She is such an amazing person. She also married an amazing person, Josh. As Laura's sister, I had determined that anyone who wanted to marry my sister would have to pass a series of tough physical, mental and spiritual tests that I had created. I had all these plans of what I would do when I first met Lar's husband-to-be. When Josh walked in the door and I got to know him, I forgot all about my plans. He was so impressive! I remember thinking it would be impossible for Laura to find any guy good enough for her. Josh proved me wrong. I love them all so much and can't wait to see them in a little over a week!! :D