Tuesday, January 15, 2013

motherhood | small & simple things


This scripture has become so meaningful to me in the past few weeks. As a new mom, I sometimes felt like I wasn't getting anything done. I think that was due to the fact that I went from being a student with a very hectic semester full of tests, group meetings, work, running errands, and checklists to being a full-time mom. At first, it was hard for me to get to the end of the day and not be able to make a list of what I accomplished. My days consisted of feeding Braden, changing diapers, giving baths, doing laundry, and washing dishes. I was having a hard time feeling like what I was doing was valuable. This scripture came into my mind one day and has completely changed the way I think about this stage in my life. Right now, the things that I spend my time doing, are very small and simple. But those small and simple things will bring to pass great things. I know that what I do as a mother is of great value. I know that every minute I spend talking or singing to Braden, every diaper I change, and every load of laundry I do, is helping me work towards something great. What could be greater than helping a precious child grow and develop? In the world's eyes, greatness is accompanied by media coverage, tangible awards, and big crowds of people. I've realized that the "great things" spoken of in this scripture are so much more than that. I am so grateful to be in the situation I am in. I am fortunate to be able to stay home with my beautiful baby all day. I get to see his little smiles and watch his eyes fill with wonder as he discovers the world around him. I get to use the talents and abilities Heavenly Father blessed me with to bring the spirit into our home. I am truly blessed to be spending each day doing the small and simple things.

1 comment:

  1. You are inspiring Marie. I felt the exact same way about my "productivity" and had a similar experience recognizing the significance but you word it much better than I could have. SO happy you get to experience being a mom too!!

    ReplyDelete