Sunday, December 23, 2012

Braden Matthew Young

Our sweet little boy is 11 days old today, so it’s about time I write a little bit about how he came into the world. I can’t promise a super detailed post though, since my little man is falling asleep right next to me as I type and is making the cutest faces!


Braden Matthew Young was born on 12/12/12 at 5:43 p.m. I was originally scheduled to be induced on Thursday of that week, but got a phone call Tuesday afternoon saying that it would actually be Wednesday morning at 5:00 a.m. We were thrilled to meet him a day sooner, but had A LOT to get done! Turns out, it’s difficult to run baby errands while trying to cram all your finals into one day. Luckily, we were able to get everything together and make it to the hospital on time.

I have to say, it was a very interesting feeling walking calmly into the hospital that morning. I had always imagined my water breaking somewhere and the two of us rushing to the hospital with Devin sprinting to the doors while pushing me in a wheel chair. Maybe next time. After being asked a million questions, I was given an IV (one of the worst parts of the day. I’ve never been good with needles) and started on Pitocin. Shortly after, the anesthesiologist came in to give me the epidural. I had heard horror story after horror story about epidurals and was pretty nervous to get one. Luckily, Devin had given me a blessing and I felt really calm during the whole process. I even laughed a little when the doctor told me to curl my back forward “like an angry Halloween cat.” Once the epidural was over and I was hooked up to more tubes than I could count, the waiting game began. It was cool being able to see Braden’s heart beat on the screen and also track my contractions.

After what seemed like forever, the contractions got much stronger and I started dilating at a quicker pace. Braden’s heart rate kept dropping so they put me on oxygen for a few hours to try to regulate it. The rest of the day is all kind of a blur. I’m not sure it hit me that I was actually going to have a baby until my doctor came in and started setting everything up. Other nurses came that would clean the baby right after it was born. I realized then that they were all there because our son would be coming into the world in just a few minutes. It was such an incredible feeling!

After pushing for twenty minutes, Braden was born! I couldn’t believe I had made it through labor. I have never been very good with medical stuff and always thought that labor would be impossible to get through. With the help of an epidural, a supportive and amazing husband, an INCREDIBLE nurse that was with us for the majority of the day, and a wonderful doctor, I made it through the day! I can’t even describe how I felt when I was handed our tiny baby for the first time. I felt more love for that little stranger in that moment than I ever thought possible. I will remember that feeling forever!

We stayed in the hospital for a few days and then we got to take little Braden home with us. We stayed there for a few days and then drove up to Sandy, where we have been staying with my family for the last little while. The last 11 days have gone by so fast! We absolutely love Braden and are so happy to have him as part of our family!

Here are some pictures from the day:



  1. oh my goodness. crying. so so happy for you guys! congratulations!

  2. He is precious Marie! Oh I am thrilled for you. It is THE most wonderful thing!

  3. Ah! I hadn't read this yet!!! I am SO happy for you! You are such a BEAUTIFUL mom and Braden is perfect!:) I'm glad that your labor and delivery went so smoothly! That's like textbook-birth amazing!:) Congrats, again!!!!:) So exciting!!!

  4. Congratulations Marie!!! What an adorable family!!! I am so excited for you and your new life!!