Monday, January 3, 2011

WELCOME HOME!

...not really. I'm back at my apartment wishing I was at my real home. I'm the first of my roommates to come back to school so I came home to an empty, FREEZING apartment. After a while, I noticed that there was a really bad smell coming from the kitchen. I mean BAD. I opened the fridge and felt a wave of stench wash over me. There was brown celery, moldy grapes, moldy leftover soup, and other perishable food items that were left in the fridge over the two week break. I learned an important lesson about cleaning the fridge before you leave for two weeks. Luckily I'm getting over a cold and have a stuffy nose, so I wasn't able to smell the stench at its full capacity. Even so, I was holding back the gags as I poured the moldy soup down the sink. Turns out our sink pipes were frozen. Fun! The moldy soup/water mixture remained in the sink causing its smell to dance its little way around our apartment. After running a lot of hot water into the sink, the pipes defrosted and finally let the soup go down. I washed the soup dish and was putting it in the dishwasher when I realized there was about an inch of yellow-brownish water in the bottom of the dishwasher. So fun! After taking care of THAT, I thought I had gotten rid of the sources of the stench. I left the apartment briefly, came back, and was hit again by the same stench. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from! I did a thorough search of the fridge and found two opened cans of re-fried beans covered in foil. I've never seen mold like that in my entire life. Another trip to the dumptser, more febreeze, and orange peels down the sink (thanks Brooke, Bailey, and Zach) made the situation much more tolerable. After having a brief dance party in the apartment across the hall and being introduced to Cody Simpson (the next Justin Bieber), I finally called it a night. What a great way to start the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment